Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Games that are rough, that swallow you up

Lots of firsts this week, especially for the boys. Jonah went off for his first day at 'big school' yesterday. Well, the pre-school attached to 'big school', more accurately; but he went off in uniform, grey knee socks and the rest of it.

What is it about uniform that makes every child look like an evacuee? If I'd taken a picture in black and white, it would have looked straight out of the 1940s. Maybe it's something to do with the timelessness of it all, pulling us back through the wormhole.


Jonah went off without a backward glance, quite literally, but I found myself metaphorically looking through the railings and thinking of Roger McGough:

I wish I could remember my name
Mummy said it would come in useful.
Like wellies. When there's puddles.
Yellowwellies. I wish she was here.
I think my name is sewn on somewhere
Perhaps the teacher will read it for me.
Tea-cher. The one who makes the tea.


(from his glorious First Day at School. Gotta love me some Roger McGough).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, I started school myself at four-and-a-half, which is what Jonah is - but that didn't stop me having the requisite sentimental moment over the thought of a little boy cast into the world of the Big Kids, plus the equally obligatory inner recitation of "but he *can't* be that big already". He may be a wormhole to the forties for you, but for me he's a slightly frightening window into our own near future...

Hope it went well (I'm sure it did).